Sunday, May 19, 2013

Thank God for Science

I've been told of a war between God and Science.  Epic battlegrounds like evolution v. creation or the mystery of life after death or zygote v. valuable human life or even Mother Earth v. perfect living space have been used as examples of why we must choose a side, pick up our  weapons of the vernacular and shoot to kill.  But why?

Why is it so important that we defend our side?  Why must we seek to refute and discredit opinions outside our own?  What have we to lose if we learn we have been wrong?

By the end of the 15th Century, followers of science won a significant battle: proving their increasingly popular spherical earth theory.  A few years later, Magellan's historic voyage around the globe proved too difficult to challenge even for those most entrenched in their fictional dogmas.  Now again I ask, "what did the church lose?"  Credibility?  Yep.  Unquestioned faith and trust from their congregation?  Probably.  And
much more to be sure, but shouldn't it have rejoiced?  If the church is living up to its claim  of being guardians of "The Truth" shouldn't it have rejoiced?  This was a monumental opportunity to confess their error and embrace the sciences, thanking them for showing it a 'truer' truth!  But the war wages on.

I know both sides fuel this tension, but for now I wish to address only those that have confused fighting against the sciences with obedience to God.  If true science is the "study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"; let the scientist observe.  They are simply watching and testing the work of your God!  Many, I believe, are handicapped with an overly developed left brain which kills any intuitive notion before it matures out of its "zygote" stage; but please let them--no, encourage them to search, knowing that they will discover nothing that hasn't already been created.  They may misinterpret; but then again, so has the church.

To anyone with ears to hear, please awaken your own right hemisphere so that you may truly know the laws of truth already written on your heart and learn to help others do the same.  I, for one, thank God for science.

No comments:

Post a Comment